National Identity Cards Act, 2011
Act 9 of 2011
- Published in Government Gazette no. 33 on 21 March 2011
- Commenced on 1 July 2013
- [This is the version of this document from 21 March 2011.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short title and commencementThis Act may be cited as the National Identity Cards Act, 2011 and shall come into operation on a date to be appointed by the Minister by notice published in the Gazette.
2. InterpretationIn this Act unless the context otherwise requires—"bearer" means a holder of a national identity card in terms of this Act;"Director" means the director responsible for national identity cards;"headman" has the meaning assigned to it in the Chieftainship Act, 19681;"identity card" means the national identity card issued under section 11;"indefinite residence permit" has the meaning assigned to it in the Aliens Control Act, 19662 or a law replacing this Act;"Minister" means the Minister responsible for National Identity Register and national identity cards;"prescribed" means prescribed by regulations;"Register" means national identity register as contemplated in Part II of this Act.
Part II – National Identity Register
3. National Identity Register
4. Persons to be entered in the Register
5. Assignment of identity numbersAn entry made in the Register about a person shall be assigned a unique number to be known as the person’s National Identity Number which shall comply with prescribed requirements.
6. Access to the Register and confidentiality of information
7. Data security
8. Data accuracy and quality
Part III – Identity cards
9. Issuance and validity of identity cardAn identity card shall be issued in the name of the King and shall be valid for a period of ten years.
10. Inalienability of identity cardAn identity card shall remain property of Government.
11. Power to issue an identity card
12. Information on an identity card
13. Eligibility for identity cardThe following persons are eligible to be issued with identity cards provided that they have attained the age of sixteen and their particulars have been entered in the Register—
14. Application for identity card
15. Application for renewal or replacement of identity card
16. Production of identity card to access all servicesNo person who is eligible to have an identity card shall access all services unless the person produces his or her identity card issued in accordance with this Act.
17. Cancellation and surrender of identity cards
18. Destruction of identity cardsIdentity cards which have expired, are damaged or otherwise tampered with, shall be destroyed in the prescribed manner.
Part IV – Offences and penalties
19. Offences and penaltiesA person who—
Part V – Miscellaneous
20. Power to make RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for giving effect to this Act.
21. RepealThe National Identity Cards Act, 20047 is repealed.
History of this document
01 July 2013
21 March 2011 this version
Published in Government Gazette number 33