Export and Import Control Act, 1984
Act 16 of 1984
- Assented to on 15 June 1984
- Commenced on 1 October 1984 by Legal Notice of 1984
- [This is the version of this document from 1 October 1984.]
1. Short title and commencementThis Act may be cited as the Export and Import Control Act 1934 and shall come into operation on a date to be fixed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"bona fide gift" means an unsolicited gift for which no charge has been made or is to be made, sent to the addressee for his personal use or for the use of his family, and certified by the addressee, to be a "bona fide gift;""Common Customs Area" means the combined areas of Botswana, Lesotho, Republic of South Africa and Swaziland;"Customs Union Agreement" means the agreement as defined in the Customs and Excise Act, 1982;[Act No. 10 of 1982]"Director" means the Director as defined in the Customs and Excise Act, 1982;[Act No. 10 of 1982]"Free on Board Price" means the price charged in respect of any imported goods by the exporter plus all the costs and charges incidental to the sale in question and to placing such goods on board ship, aircraft or any vehicle ready for exportation and any agent’s commission, calculated on such price, costs and charges, in respect of such goods;"goods" include all wares, articles, merchandise, animals, currency, matter or things;"Minister" means Minister responsible for Finance;"Officer" means the customs official or any member of the Lesotho Mounted Police or of the Lesotho Paramilitary Force.
3. Powers of the Minister
4. Furnishing of information to MinisterThe Minister or any person authorized by him may in writing direct any person who imports, exports or manufactures any goods or trades in any goods or in the course of his business or trade handles or has under his control any goods, to furnish the Minister within a specified time with any information at his disposal in relation to the importation, export, manufacture, supply or storage of the goods concerned.
5. Designation of inspectors and powers of director and inspectors
History of this document
01 October 1984 this version
15 June 1984